Thursday, June 25, 2015

A Mother's Remedy


This story would probably be more a propos to tell on Mother's Day. However, since Mother's Day is only slightly less than a year away, and since mothers deserve appreciation all year 'round. Here's reason #356 why I love my mother.

One excellent component of summer time is that I get to come home and visit my family a little bit. It's great to be back as a whole family again; it's an easy groove to settle into. Everyone's having a great time!

And then... my period struck.

Ladies, you know how this goes. Potential hours of lying in the fetal position, downing the tylenol (or aspirin or ibuprofen), waiting it out, cursing the combination of chromosomes that makes you woman, and wondering if cutting out your uterus would be less painful.

Thankfully, mother nature decided to allow me a reprieve and I slept. After multiple nights of poor sleep, it was a much needed repose. Presently, I awoke and ventured downstairs. Boy was I a sight!

Eyes red and framed with dark circles from lack of sleep.

Face pale as death from nausea and spotted with hormonal battle scars.

Hair completely disheveled, and clutching at my bloated belly, plagued by the last vestiges of the day's abdominal gymnastics, I hobbled into the kitchen.

All my mother says when she sees me is, "Wow! Don't you look gorgeous for someone who's just endured a bout with menstrual cramping!"

Funny thing is, she meant it.

Thanks for the smiles, Mom. I love you.

Best wishes,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment